NA-Recovery.org - Addicts helping addicts recover - the Narcotics Anonymous way

Author Topic: Working the Steps while in Treatment  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Kat

• Trusted Servant
  • Old_Timer
    • NA-Recovery.org
Working the Steps while in Treatment
« on: July 28, 2012, 03:04:47 PM »
Every treatment center is different.  Some try to have their clients work all 12 steps in 30 days, others send their clients out to real meetings, or hold them there.  What was your treatment experience? 
"FAITH is when you have come to the edge of all the light that you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown... Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught how to fly."

Offline Lon

• Snivel Rights
  • Administrator
  • Old_Timer
  • More is revealed every day.
    • April 14, 2014
    • NA-Recovery.org
Re: Working the Steps while in Treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:40:34 PM »
It has been a while ago, but I was expected to work a step per week while in intensive outpatient for the 6 weeks of the IOP section of their program. I was also expected to make a meeting the 2 nights a week I was not in Intensive Out Patient. And to have a sponsor before I graduated to "aftercare" (2 x 2 hour sessions a week in the treatment center instead of 5 x 4 hour sessions) for the rest of the year of treatment.

Looking back..my stepwork while in treatment was sorely lacking in depth, more focused on what I thought they wanted to hear than "reality". To top it off, I used "doing my 4th step in treatment" as a handy excuse to not work a real 4th step with my sponsor for a year.
"In this program, the first thing we do is stop using drugs. At this point, we begin to feel the pain of living without drugs or anything to replace them. The pain forces us to seek a Power greater than ourselves that can relieve our obsession to use."
"Narcotics Anonymous" copyright by NAWS