NA-Recovery.org - Addicts helping addicts recover - the Narcotics Anonymous way

Author Topic: Just a suggestion  (Read 2382 times)

Offline LostMonk

Just a suggestion
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »
Make the chatroom a link on the left which opens in a new window, instead of having it on the front page. This will solve a few issues: no more having 10 tabs open if you open multiple links; people in chat can still surf in the other window; people who come here on a mobile browser will be able to load the site without the javascript; load times for the front page will drop greatly.
Work the steps or DIE
The steps are there to keep us from killing ourselves,
The traditions are there to keep us from killing each other.

Offline Lon

• Snivel Rights
  • Administrator
  • Old_Timer
  • More is revealed every day.
    • April 14, 2014
    • NA-Recovery.org
Re: Just a suggestion
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 01:23:16 AM »
Let me tell you why the current set up is the way it is;

We had problems with "less than tech savvy" addicts clicking on links and thinking they were "kicked" out of chat by evil ops...for NO reason. Thus it is just easier to have links open in a new window. There was also the issue of the "less than tech savvy" *FINDING* chat if it was not on the first page. Faster page loading would be good, no doubt. I would also point out that our 'mobile' users are a very small minority.
"In this program, the first thing we do is stop using drugs. At this point, we begin to feel the pain of living without drugs or anything to replace them. The pain forces us to seek a Power greater than ourselves that can relieve our obsession to use."
"Narcotics Anonymous" copyright by NAWS

Offline LostMonk

Re: Just a suggestion
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:14:52 AM »
Let me tell you why the current set up is the way it is;

We had problems with "less than tech savvy" addicts clicking on links and thinking they were "kicked" out of chat by evil ops...for NO reason. Thus it is just easier to have links open in a new window. There was also the issue of the "less than tech savvy" *FINDING* chat if it was not on the first page. Faster page loading would be good, no doubt. I would also point out that our 'mobile' users are a very small minority.

Absolutely understood. The first is pretty easily fixed though, as someone could make a big chat graphic for people to click on the front page, that's hard to miss. As for things like a small amount of mobile users, it's better to be prepared ahead of time, rather than need to do a massive remodel down the line, and confuse a greater number of people even more. I just know that for me, I don't even look at the front page anymore, because it starts to freeze up my browser while it waits to load the chat. So I just come straight to the forums, and will miss whatever news may be there.

Just my .02
Work the steps or DIE
The steps are there to keep us from killing ourselves,
The traditions are there to keep us from killing each other.