NA-Recovery.org - Addicts helping addicts recover - the Narcotics Anonymous way

Author Topic: Favorite Quotes from our Literature. See if you find yourself here.  (Read 7539 times)

Offline Kat

• Trusted Servant
  • Old_Timer
    • NA-Recovery.org
Some quotes from our literature:

"Narcotics Anonymous offers recovery to addicts around the world. We focus on the disease of addiction rather than any particular drug.  Our message is broad enough to attract addicts from any social class or nationality. When new members come to meetings, our sole interest is in their desire for freedom from active addiction and how we can be of help."   from Chapter 3, It Works, How and Why

"JUST FOR TODAY, I NEVER HAVE TO USE AGAIN."  p. xiii Basic Text

"When at the end of the road we find that we can no longer function as a human being, either with or without drugs, we all face the same dilemma.  What is there left to do? There seems to be this alternative: either go on as best we can to the bitter ends - jails, institutions or death - or find a new way to live.   In years gone by, very few addicts ever had this choice. Those who are addicted today are more fortunate. For the first time in history, a simple way has been proving itself in the lives of many addicts. It is available to us all. This is a simple spiritual - not religious - program, known as Narcotics Anonymous."  Basic Text, p.84

"The only requirement for membership is the desire to stop using."  Tradition Three

Perhaps some of our members here on the forum could post what NA has done for them, or their favorite quote from our literature.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:34:52 AM by Kat »
"FAITH is when you have come to the edge of all the light that you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown... Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught how to fly."

Offline Kat

• Trusted Servant
  • Old_Timer
    • NA-Recovery.org
Another favorite excerpt from our lit talks about how we suffer from a disease; that we are not bad people for being addicted.  It brought me great comfort in my early days in recovery:

We find that we suffer from a disease, not a moral dilemma. We were critically ill, not hopelessly bad.  BT p.13

I felt so bad about the things I did in active addiction...and I felt I was a bad person.  In recovery, by learning how to arrest my disease through working an active program of recovery, I learned to give myself a break on the self-hatred, and started on the path to forgiving myself.
"FAITH is when you have come to the edge of all the light that you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown... Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught how to fly."