NA-Recovery.org - Addicts helping addicts recover - the Narcotics Anonymous way

Author Topic: I live in an isolated area where there are no meetings...what do I do?  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Kat

• Trusted Servant
  • Old_Timer
    • NA-Recovery.org
This is NA's IP #21, which offers addicts in this situation several options for how to recover:

The Loner—Staying Clean in Isolation

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 08:24:30 PM by Kat »
"FAITH is when you have come to the edge of all the light that you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown... Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught how to fly."

Offline LoriW

I live in an isolated area where with the exception of my homegroup, which I started when I moved to my area, NA mtgs are 45 minutes away. I have found that there are AA meetings closer to me and I supplement with those because I know that a meeting is a meeting. I drive to the further meetings when I can and supplement with online meetings.

Offline pinke

• live ur life on life's terms
Re: I live in an isolated area where there are no meetings...what do I do?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 06:51:25 PM »
I am finding it hard to stay clean with no NA support ( F2F). I have been in AA and dont drink and its hard to talk about drugs in my AA home group ( which I respect their traditions), I attend online meetings..but with no NA sponsors or meetings I am finding it difficult to remain clean for any period of time... 9 months...4 months..  I can be who ever I wanna be or fake myself behind a computer...so I "need" face to face... ugh ... feeling so damn frustrated :(
colette lambert

Offline Kat

• Trusted Servant
  • Old_Timer
    • NA-Recovery.org
Re: I live in an isolated area where there are no meetings...what do I do?
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »
 :hugs: pinke

I can relate to your issue a lot.  My first years in recovery had to be mostly in the other fellowship, due to where I lived.  I just want to say, that while of course I would have preferred to attend NA, I was completely able to make my program of recovery work in the other fellowship.  I also identified as an alcoholic, out of respect for their traditions, but in my head, it was just semantics - and I was able to just translate certain words so that they made sense to me when I was doing my step work.  My sponsor knew of my drug addiction and we worked on the issue of addiction in general, not which substances I used while caught in active addiction.

Feel free to talk to me anytime...I am here for you, anytime. :)
"FAITH is when you have come to the edge of all the light that you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown... Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught how to fly."