NA-Recovery.org - Addicts helping addicts recover - the Narcotics Anonymous way

Author Topic: Showing compassion to difficult people  (Read 1807 times)

Offline benana

Showing compassion to difficult people
« on: December 10, 2013, 08:57:02 AM »
If someone is sick and suffering (not from drugs but from a refusal to accept who they are), and they are not exactly the nicest person in the world to you because of that... how do you show compassion for that day after day and not react?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:31:25 AM by benana »
"A spiritual understanding of self-acceptance is knowing that it is all right to find ourselves in pain, to have made mistakes, and to know that we are not perfect."
-IP #19, Self-Acceptance

Offline Kat

• Trusted Servant
  • Old_Timer
    • NA-Recovery.org
Re: Showing compassion to difficult people
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:12:23 AM »
I think that we do the best we can on any given day.  It helps me to remember that however that person is acting out, be it in anger or otherwise, it is about them, not me.  Once I take me out of the equation, it gets a little easier for me to see it objectively.  I think it is important to convey a consistent message of recovery to such a person, so that they will be reminded that there is always hope, and that they are not alone unless they choose to be.

I would suggest, if they have not already started this process, that they get and work with a sponsor, so that they can dig into those deep issues that are causing the pain in the first place. 
"FAITH is when you have come to the edge of all the light that you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown... Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught how to fly."

Offline benana

Re: Showing compassion to difficult people
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 10:39:42 PM »
Thanks, Kat.
"A spiritual understanding of self-acceptance is knowing that it is all right to find ourselves in pain, to have made mistakes, and to know that we are not perfect."
-IP #19, Self-Acceptance