NA-Recovery.org - Addicts helping addicts recover - the Narcotics Anonymous way

Author Topic: keeping your head above your feet!  (Read 1524 times)

Offline HopeisFound

• clean Date- 9-1-07
keeping your head above your feet!
« on: April 19, 2014, 05:43:45 PM »
what does keeping your head above your feet mean to you? How would it help in your recovery/
With Love and Fellowship
Linda

Offline Kat

• Trusted Servant
  • Old_Timer
    • NA-Recovery.org
Re: keeping your head above your feet!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 12:55:58 AM »
I DO sometimes feel like I am drowning in life on life's terms.  The more I struggle when that is happening, the less I can take action to deal with what is going on.  It is more the struggle than the actual situation every single time, so I address the struggle, not the circumstances that I am currently struggling with.  I use basic tools...breathe, HALT, talking to another addict, go to meetings, try to meditate or pray, etc.

Something came to mind that I have heard a few times about struggle too, as it relates to being able to receive the help that is freely offered if I reach out too...it is very difficult to rescue a drowning person when they are panicking and flailing in the water.  I think of this when I am trying to stop 'flailing' and panicking.  I love visuals, and thinking of this image stops some of the spinning too. 

Thank you Linda, great one.

"FAITH is when you have come to the edge of all the light that you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown... Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught how to fly."