NA-Recovery.org - Addicts helping addicts recover - the Narcotics Anonymous way

Author Topic: New Here and need hobby ideas  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Angel

• I'm New Here
New Here and need hobby ideas
« on: October 09, 2014, 05:15:39 PM »
I am a recovering addict....less than 3 weeks from 1 year clean. The first 10 1/2 months of my sobriety began in jail. I've been out for 3 weeks and I'm lost. I find myself staring at a tv for hours at a time simply because I don't know what else to do. I know the things I need to do: find a job, clean house, etc but beyond doing the bare minimum I'm lost. I enjoy spending time with my boyfriend, but when he leaves for work I don't know what to do with myself. I need to work on my resume', but I'm scared of rejection (due to recent incarceration) so....I do nothing. If I do anything productive, it's so minimal it doesn't really achieve anything beyond making me feel like I at least sort of made an effort. I need a hobby. I need something I enjoy and actually look forward to doing. I don't have a car or license at this point (buying pills was more important than paying traffic tickets) so getting out of the house is limited to my boyfriend's availability to drive me-which brings about all sorts of other guilt for continuing to be a burden on him, but that's beside the point I'm trying to make now.

I need something I can do at home that's fun, engaging, will keep me from continuing to fry my brain on television lol.

I apologize for the rambling, but I appreciate any thoughts & ideas. Thanks in advance. :-)

Offline lcarousel

• I'm New Here
Re: New Here and need hobby ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 05:22:46 AM »
Hi angel,
My name is Linda. I wonder if fighting for some cause that you truly feel strongly about might be a goog idea.
Do you have a gift or talent that you can use toward that goal? I was severely abused as
A child. I suppose I could choose to use to self medicate until I die or fight to make a difference for others.
It's just a thought.

Offline recovery

• Trusted Servant
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 02:43:32 AM »
hi Angel my name is MaryJo  I like doing crafts when I have the extra money I enjoy paint your own ceramics and although I am not good at it sometimes I crochet and sometimes I will write made up stories
recovery offers us the promise of freedom from active addiction but to get that promise takes effort on our part

Offline Kat

• Trusted Servant
  • Old_Timer
    • NA-Recovery.org
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 11:01:57 AM »
Have you checked out local NA meetings?  (or AA if no NA meetings are available)  If you go to those, you would meet other addicts in your area, and get out of the house too.  From what you have written, you have a lot on your plate right now, trying to get on your feet, and you get all the support you can handle at meetings. 

I need to find hobbies or causes too, thanks for the suggestions lcarousel and recovery.   

Oh, and please consider joining us in our chat room if you haven't already.  We have online meetings each night at 10 pm EST and open chat 24/7.  On our website homepage, there are a couple of options for how to connect. 
"FAITH is when you have come to the edge of all the light that you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown... Faith is knowing that one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught how to fly."

Offline orderlychaos

• I'm New Here
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:09:20 AM »
Hi Angel,

I definitely understand where you're coming from. I've been in and out of jail or prison for the last 20 years, and its always hard to think of constructive things to occupy your time when we always default to what we know. Recently, I've started to become more active in volunteering locally, to keep myself from the idle time that tends to bring the old habits to the surface. I could also suggest being active at church, and finding a good sponsor. A lot of times people are more willing than you might think to help those of us that are actively trying to stay clean.

I also discovered so many worlds to drop by and visit by reading good books. Sometimes it helps to get that little reprieve from our real selves. I also like to fish, garden, and do home improvements, when I can afford those. The possibilities are endless, as you rediscover yourself.

As to your fear of rejection with your resume, I always think of it like this: An interview is the ultimate Halloween experience! You can be ANYBODY you want to be, as you are probly going to meet someone you've never met. What an opportunity to portray yourself to be the very best way you can think of! And the worst that can happen is that you don't get the job, and the person you've never met will become the person that saw the very best of you for 5 minutes, regardless of what your history is. We can't change the past, but we can show ANYONE our ability to overcome adversity.

Good luck with everything, and congratulations on the clean time. It all counts as time to be proud of, incarcerated or not.