NA-Recovery.org - Addicts helping addicts recover - the Narcotics Anonymous way

Author Topic: New Member and Struggling  (Read 284 times)

Offline quinnjames00

• I'm New Here
New Member and Struggling
« on: August 15, 2017, 10:47:48 AM »
Hey all, my name is Quinn, and I'm new here. I am a trans man and an opiate addict, and trying desperately to recover. I lost my mother last week to cancer, so this has kind of set me back a bit. Hope to make some friends here and get support.

Offline sjs94704

• I'm New Here
Re: New Member and Struggling
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 11:27:39 AM »
Hey Quinn:

My name is Steven from California.

I hope you can recognize that you're well on your way to getting through this merely by the fact that you were willing to reach out on this website for support and guidance on how to deal with your loss!

I can't imagine the pain you are feeling right now!  Let me first say that nothing anyone can say can ever truly heal the pain from the loss of a loved one, especially a parent! But hopefully, just knowing that there are many many others out here who have gone through this exact thing can be some level of comfort to you!

I am truly sorry for your loss!

I hope you will come to the point soon to always remember that you can celebrate her life and be so thankful to her for giving you your life!
Without her you would not be here!

I say that since this is a very critical moment in your life, if it were me, I would seek out and surround myself with a few true friends who can at least for awhile, keep in close contact with me as I work my way through my emotions around this loss to the point where I can feel better about being on my own.

Meetings, Meetings, Meetings, Meetings! Try as best as you can to go to as many as you can!  Don't be afraid to share your pain with others at the meetings you go to because you just might be not only helping yourself, but several others in the room who are going through something very similar and who are just not sharing it with others! When you go to meetings you are helping yourself by helping others.

I know that for me, the friends I have made in meetings are the best friends I have ever had.

Stay strong! Seek out guidance from your Higher Power. And most of all, do whatever you need to do for yourself to not allow yourself to relapse. Always think back on how you got to where you are in your recovery now and always know that there are many other ways to cope with the pain you're feeling from that loss other than picking up again and using.

In my experience with others I know who have gone through this and chose to use again to mask that pain, when they came down off their "High", that pain was 10 times worse!

Finally, alway remember this: "Every moment of your life, always do what is in your best interest!"  ........

My heart goes out to you!

-Steven S.
Berkeley, CA USA