NA-Recovery.org - Addicts helping addicts recover - the Narcotics Anonymous way

Author Topic: alcohol, peer pressure, and work-parties  (Read 670 times)

Offline librarian11111

• I'm New Here
alcohol, peer pressure, and work-parties
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »
Good evening brothers and sisters!
Last week, I went to an informal work related party/going away party for a co-worker at a nice restaurant/bar.
I didn't expect it--but one of my co-workers (who knows I'm in recovery from pain-pill addiction) asked me if I could have "just one drink." We were there for dinner--but most of my co-workers drank at least a little.
When my co-worker asked me to drink--I just slowly shook my head, saying nothing (I've been told it's easier to deny a request non-verbally than verbally.
Seconds later, another co-worker (the one who is leaving--and who was drinking quite a bit)--said, "I want to see you get f----d up."
I am 49-- the co-worker who wanted me to get "f----" up is 58; and the one who initially asked me to drink "just one" is 64. I guess I didn't expect stupid peer pressure like this from non-teenagers.
At the time, I think I handled the situation well--I never drank anything that night except water. But I wish I had more of an elevator speech of why I'm just-saying-no rather than to say "I'm in recovery" or merely feel intensely uncomfortable. I'm stewing as I type this!
I'm almost 6 months clean-and-sober--but I'm tempted to avoid all work related parties like this in the future (we don't have too many of them).
Any advice?
Thanks.