NA-Recovery.org - Addicts helping addicts recover - the Narcotics Anonymous way

Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Vic

Suggestions
« on: July 11, 2009, 04:24:34 AM »
I'm liking the new site.  I like the clear, clean logo, and I'm looking forward to viewing the posts on the forum.  This is the first time I took a look at the site.
Y'all have done a good job.

I had like two comments, both talking points, ideas or whatever...  design stuff.

When I visit a site, I tend to expect that clicking on a link will open the link in the same window.  If the site has a lot of information, or I want to view various pages from the site at once, I open in multiple tabs, by choosing to do it.  If I open a PDF or application, I expect that to open in another window.  Clicking on a link, and having it open another window, makes me feel less in control, and I'm an addict, I like to fix, manage and control, especially my firefox.  Is there a reason, pages spawn baby pages?  =}

I would assume... talking point #2, that, it is because the chat-applet is on the front page, and we don't want to disconnect from that.  I don't know about chat applets, or irc or direction, but when I view a page, I want to see what the site is about, then chat.  I'm lazy.  I'm not going to scroll down to see if there is anything under the window.  Scrolling is a pain.  I only scroll if I am interested enough to want to read more, or to find something i am told is below. 

I'm not sure if it was set up that way for a reason, or wants to be looked at or discussed?  I know, at some point, in design school, I was taught that, but, I have conviently forgotten all html and php.  Plus, To be honest, I'm probably never going to visit the main page, anyway, unless I'm somewhere I can't just go straight to the forums.  =D

V

Offline Rae

• Clean date: January 2nd, 2008
    • NA Recovery
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 02:13:55 PM »
Part of the reason its set up that way- is for less... techy people. Same basic idea as having the meeting in the same room as the general chat- it's just easier to find on the front page. About 60% of the time that I directed someone to the other site, I'd get a message saying "But- how do I get to the chat room?" Despite the link that read "Chat with addicts." Similarly- pages open in a new window so that clicking a link on the sidebar won't boot someone out of chat- which also happened fairly often... So, a lot of my design stuff is- trying to balance content for geeky people, and accessibility for people who are new to chat and internet stuff.

Putting things together-- and also watching people around work and stuff- things are set up so that it's a little easier for people who aren't as comfortable searching for things on the internet. I'm pretty comfortable with it- but that's what the blogs, forum, and little- tweedly profile pages are for- geeks. I just have my firefox set to open all blank targets in new tabs, rather than windows.

Offline Vic

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 07:25:59 PM »

Yeah -

With the chat-thing on the main page, it make's sense.  I don't think of my browsing preferences as "uber geeky".  To me, you want something, you click on it...

but, if someone is connected to the internet and this site, by word of mouth, and never used it before, it makes sense.  Just V annoying - but i know it was done on purpouse.

V

Offline Rae

• NA Recovery
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 04:45:02 AM »
I love ya Vic :)

Offline HopeisFound

• clean Date- 9-1-07
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 11:33:57 AM »
Rae, I was wondering why, when I am in the room and if I minimize the window then expand it again the chat window does not open back up and I then must exit and re-enter
Linda   ???
With Love and Fellowship
Linda

Offline Rae

• NA Recovery
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 01:39:29 PM »
That one- I have no idea. Hmm. I think that's a java issue- which- isn't my forte.